Rules for Riding the Bus
A message from the Director of Transportation Operations, Support Services:
❝Polk County children are our most treasured assets. We strive to provide the safest transportation possible. We appreciate your cooperation, help and support. It would be a big help if you could take just a few minutes and review the following rules with your child and also the importance of following these rules.❞
➡ Check Today’s Bus Delays
➡ Frequently Asked Questions
➡ Download/Print the Rules in PDF
Any student, who does not abide by the rules stated below, will be disciplined and may be suspended from the bus. Riding a school bus is a PRIVILEGE, NOT a RIGHT. Your child will be required to participate in two (2) School Bus Emergency Evacuation Drills during the school year. This complies with STATE and FEDERAL laws. If your child has any physical or medical reasons for not participating in Emergency Evacuation Drills, please notify the bus driver and/or the school administration.
- Stand off roadway while awaiting bus.
- The bus emergency door must not be tampered with and must not be used for ordinary boarding and exiting.
- Keep arms and head inside windows.
- Wait for the driver’s signal before crossing. Cross the roadway 3 or 4 steps in front of the bus.
- Please do not move within the bus while it is in motion.
- Outside of ordinary conversation, classroom conduct is to be observed.
- The driver and/or attendant are in full charge of bus and pupils. Pupils must obey driver and/or attendant.
- The driver and/or attendant have the right to assign pupils certain seats if necessary to promote order on bus.
- No eating, drinking or smoking is allowed on the bus.
- Students must be on time; ten minutes before bus is scheduled. The bus cannot wait for those who are tardy.
- Other than service animals, animals, pets, etc. are not allowed on the bus.
- Students are to be absolutely quiet at railroad crossings.
- When you get up on a school day, and the fog is thick, be sure to listen to the TV news media or a popular radio station in your area for any information regarding a change in the school bus schedule. If no definite information is given, go to your bus stop as usual and wait for the bus to arrive. The bus will make the run even though it may not be on schedule. While waiting for the bus, be very careful and stay off the roadway, away from the edge of the pavement to avoid being hit by a vehicle, especially when conditions are unsafe.
- When exiting the bus, remind your child to move away from the bus as soon as possible before the bus moves on to the next stop. Ensure your child knows to never crawl under the bus for any reason.
- Students will only be provided bus transportation from/to the closest bus stop located nearest their residence.
- You may visit our website to see if your child’s bus is delayed for any reason.